8 Ways to Super-Swimming Sperm

The You Docs — Mehmet Oz, host of “The Dr. Oz Show” and Mike Roizen of the Cleveland Clinic — the authors of several best-selling health books, write about a sperm improvement plan in a recent syndicated column.

“Healthy sperm and a robust sperm count improve your odds that a single sperm will survive its ultra-marathon journey and meet an eligible egg,” they write.

To give your sperm a healthy “makeover” and improve your fertility, take these 8 steps for super-swimmer sperm:

1. Eat less (like none) of the bad fats and more of the good ones.

Eating lots of saturated fat — found in red meats, processed meats, full-fat dairy products and many snack foods and desserts — can reduce sperm counts by 38%, and slow the swimming ability of the remaining 62%.

But getting more omega-3 fatty acids from fish like salmon and wild trout means higher counts.

To get more omega-3s you can also take a supplement of 1,500 mg DHA (the most active omega-3) daily for 10 weeks, then cut back to 1,000 mg a day.

2. Hang out at the farm stand.

Filling up on fruit and veggies protects sperm quality and quantity by revving up your body’s defenses that keep them healthy.

3. Add vitamin D-3 and zinc.

Plenty of vitamin D-3 helps sperm swim better and faster.

Aim for 1,000 IU a day from a D-3 supplement.

Add 12 mg of zinc a day for a healthy sperm count and superior shape.

Great and healthy food sources of zinc include poultry, beans, cashews and no-fat, no-added-sugar yogurt.

4. Get that laptop off your lap and your phone out of your pocket.

Surfing the web or checking email with a Wi-Fi-connected laptop humming in your lap is bad news for sperms’ swimming skills and the precious DNA cargo they carry.

Phones may hamper male fertility, too.

5. Keep cool where it counts.

Sperm production needs temperatures cooler than the rest of your body, which is why hot tubs, a fever and even a desk job can torpedo your count.

Take stand-up breaks at work, let ’em breathe, and make the switch to boxers from briefs.

Tight skivvies can reduce sperm counts by up to 50 percent.

Cyclists, mix up your exercise routine, too.

6. Skip the drinks and smokes.

Smoking slashes your sperm count by 13-17% and triggers genetic abnormalities.

There’s evidence marijuana is also bad news.

More than one beer, glass of wine or cocktail a day also messes with sperm quality.

After two drinks, sperm get mixed up and travel in weird directions.

7. Stay trim for your swimmers.

Adding extra pounds subtracts from your sperm count and ups the number of abnormal sperm in your arsenal.


Obesity may alter hormone levels and heat up your testicles.

8. Don’t hold back in the bedroom.

Daily fun between the sheets improves sperm quality dramatically.

Compared to several days of abstinence, daily intimacy reduces DNA damage in sperm by about 30%.

One Response to “8 Ways to Super-Swimming Sperm”

  • Thank you for bringing up the issue of cell phones in #4. Cell phones in close proximity to the male reproductive system can cause real damage. That’s why my company has developed a new pocket insert that deflects heat and radiation away from the body, without interfering with the way the phone works. Check it out at http://www.cellulardeflector.com.

Leave a Reply